Color, enlarged versions of the textbook illustrations are available online.
- G3: Explain what focal length is -- using the textbook illustrations.
- How does a zoom in/out look different from a track in/out?
- G4: *Explain what depth of field is -- using the textbook illustrations.
- What is the difference between deep focus and deep space (as in mise-en-scene)?
- G1 and G5: Explain what aspect ratio is -- using the textbook illustrations.
- G2 and G6: Explain the significance of camera framing, height, and movement -- using the textbook illustrations.
Cinematography and narrative
In this Monster's Ball scene, what narrative functions does the cinematography serve? Each group should account for the cinematographic aspects noted above, paying particular attention to the third shot.
- Monster's Ball scene
- Television illustrations, Chapter 8.
- Cinematography illustrations
- Monster's Ball frame grabs
- Henri 2, Paw de Deux: black-and-white
- Pillarboxed cell-phone video
- Jeremy G. Butler, Television: Visual Storytelling and Screen Culture, 5th Edition (New York: Routledge, 2018).
- David Bordwell and Kristin Thompson, Film Art: An Introduction (New York: McGraw-Hill).